History of C Programming Language
- C is a programming language which born at “AT & T’s Bell Laboratory” of USA in 1972.
- C was written by Dennis Ritchie, thats why he is also called as father of c programming language.
- C language was created for a specific purpose i.e designing the UNIX operating system (which is currently base of many UNIX based OS).
- From the beginning, C was intended to be useful to allow busy programmers to get things done because C is such a powerful, dominant and supple language
- Its use quickly spread beyond Bell Labs in the late 70’s because of its long list of strong features
Refer : C Programming History Chart
Why Name “C” was given to Language ?
- Many of C’s principles and ideas were derived from the earlier language B. (Ken Thompson was the developer of B Language.)
- BCPL and CPL are the earlier ancestors of B Language
- CPL is common Programming Language.In 1967, BCPL Language ( Basic CPL ) was created as a scaled down version of CPL
- As many of the features were derived from “B” Language thats why it was named as “C”.
- After 7-8 years C++ came into existence which was first example of object oriented programming .
Summary of C Programming Language History
||B Language Developed By
||Operating System Developed in C
||AT & T Bell Laboratory
||Creator of Traditional C
C Programming Language Timeline :
||Brain Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie
You can view above C Programming History Timeline in pictorial form – [Here