Servlet – Overview : JavaPritesh
What are Servlets ?
- Servlets used to create web application
- Servlets are middle layer of between a request from browser or HTTP client and database application.
- Servlets are robust and scalable
- Servlets are platform independent
- Servlets resides at server side and generates dynamic web page
- Servlets are used to collect input through the web forms or to show records from database via web reports.
- Servlets performance is significantly better than CGI.
- Servlets execute within the address space of a Web server. So it is not not necessary to create a separate process to handle each client request.
- Servlets are secure.
Servlets – Diagrammatic Representation
Servlets Execution Steps :
- Browser or any HTTP client sent data to the HTTP Server in the form of Web Page.
- The request sent by the Browser or client is read by Servlets. Request or data sent includes –
- Servlet then processes the data and generate the results
- Servlet then Sends data to the clients (browsers) in verity of formats which includes web page,images, pdf or excel
|No.||Request Sent by Browser includes|
|4||compression schemes etc|