Eclipse IDE – IntroductionPritesh
What is Eclipse & Eclipse Foundation?
- Eclipse is a community for individuals and organizations who wish to collaborate on commercially-friendly open source software.
- Its projects are focused on building an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and run-times for building, deploying and managing software across the life cycle.
- The Eclipse Foundation is a not-for-profit, member supported corporation that hosts the Eclipse projects and helps cultivate both an open source community and an ecosystem of complementary products and services.
History of Eclipse :
- Industry leaders Borland, IBM, MERANT, QNX Software Systems, Rational Software, Red Hat, SuSE, TogetherSoft and Webgain formed the initial eclipse.org Board of Stewards in November 2001.
- By the end of 2003, this initial consortium had grown to over 80 members.
- On Feb 2, 2004 the Eclipse Board of Stewards announced Eclipse’s reorganization into a not-for-profit corporation. Originally a consortium that formed when IBM released the Eclipse Platform into Open Source
- All technology and source code provided to and developed by this fast-growing community is made available royalty-free via the Eclipse Public License.
Eclipse Releases :
|N/A||21 June 2004||3.0||-|
|N/A||28 June 2005||3.1||-|
|Callisto||30 June 2006||3.2||Callisto projects|
|Europa||29 June 2007||3.3||Europa projects|
|Ganymede||25 June 2008||3.4||Ganymede projects|
|Galileo||24 June 2009||3.5||Galileo projects|
|Helios||23 June 2010||3.6||Helios projects|
|Indigo||22 June 2011||3.7||Indigo projects|
|Juno||27 June 2012||3.8||Juno projects|
|Kepler||26 June 2013||4.3||Kepler projects|
|Luna||25 June 2014 (planned)||4.4||Luna projects|
|Mars||24 June 2015 (planned)||4.5||Mars projects|