C integer Data TypePritesh
Integer Data Type : About Short Integer & Long Integer
- Integers are whole numbers with a wide range of values that are machine dependent.
- Integer occupies 2 bytes memory space and its value range limited to -32768 to +32767
How this range is Calculated ?
Size of Integer = 2 bytes No of Bits = 16 bits = MSB bit is considered as Sign Bit (Skip that bit) = 16 bits - 1 bit = 15 bits
Maximum Range of Integer
Max Range = 2 Raise to 15 = 32768
Minimum Range of Integer
Min Range = 2 Raise to -15 = -32768
Types of Integer Data Types :
- Short Integer
- Long Integer
Some Important Points :
- Range of Integer is [2^-15 to 2^+15]
- Each type is again classified into signed and unsigned integer.
- Unsigned integer don’t have sign bit , so its range is 0 to 65535
- A short int requires half the amount of storage than normal integer.
- Unlike signed integer, unsigned integers are always positive and use all the bits for the magnitude of the number. Therefore the range of an unsigned integer will be from 0 to 65535.
- The long integers are used to declare a longer range of values and it occupies 4 bytes of storage space.
Syntax of Declaring Integer
int num1; short int num2; long int num3;
Example of Integer Data types